I’m copying off of Rebecca Reynolds, (she said I could) who invited people to make a list: “Quick. Twenty things you love. (Not family, friends, or Jesus. We know that.)”
1. Orange. The color and the fruit.
2. The moment of pushing away from shore in a kayak and suddenly feeling nothing but water underneath.
3. The way my cat stretches her neck and leans into it and half closes her eyes when I scratch under her chin.
4. Dark chocolate.
5. Reading silently, companionably, with someone else in the same room.
6. Holding a sleeping baby.
7. Opening a new jar of peanut butter and making the first dip. Also, bacon and peanut butter sandwiches on wheat toast.
8. Having people at my table for dinner.
10. Playing the guessing game with my brother.
11. Laughing hard.
12. Yellow flowers that say “Spring!” Daffodils, forsythia.
13. Playing Irish traditional music, especially playing for dancers.
14. Seeing someone I love asleep. It makes me feel so tender toward them.
15. Walking, especially taking someone to the Big Dam Bridge for the first time.
16. Cherry pie.
17. Poetry, especially, lately, Kay Ryan’s.
19. Mister Rogers.
20. Making lists.
This list would be different tomorrow. It would be different an hour from now. (How could I have forgotten “the sound of a banjo”?) There’s lots to love. So how about you? Quick! Drop (down below, to the comments) and give me twenty. Let’s see if we can get twenty lists.